Thursday, June 08, 2006

THE VALUE OF HOPE

Traditional therapy has almost only focused on what is wrong with individuals and what is wrong with their lives. Now, hope has become a powerful therapeutic tool. It is well on the way to becoming a powerful force in lives that until now have had no hope at all. This is achieved by focusing on positive elements of people’s lives, and looking for ways to guide events to a positive outcome, and convincing them that things are likely to improve. Their problems are not ignored, but are placed in a healthier context.

Hope is now at a premium in the lives of people suffering from mental illness. More effective medications and a shift in the priorities of mental health practitioners have been very effective in creating stable, normal lives for the mentally ill. The healthier these people become, the more hope they will feel.

Hope is an essential element in the “recovery” model of mental health. This model is an aspect of therapy that can supplement, but not replace, the “medical” model, whose focus is on diagnostics and medications. The recovery model addresses aspects of people’s lives that can be improved and providing them with the skills to do so. It is said that medication can only take us half the way there. Acquiring the necessary strategies and skills can take us the rest of the way.

I recently spoke to a group of chronic patients at a local psychiatric hospital about the changes that have occurred in my life in hopes of instilling a sense of hope. They came away with the knowledge that it isn’t too late to become healthy.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tony said...

There is definitely hope. For many years I suffered from long term chronic mental illness. I did not respond to the medical treatments that I received during these years.

Eventually I ended up on the Beacon Unit in the Waterville Rehab Center. I was put on clozapine. It worked.

After my symptoms got under good control I received Psycho-social treatments and rehabilitative treatments. Since then I have been recovering from schizophrenia and I am still recovering. I don't believe that a person can get to the point where they are recovered. It is a continual process that we will go through until the day we pass on from this world.

I've held down a job for the last five years. I am now happily married. I have a good social life. I'm involved with the Schizophrenia Society in my area where I live. I'm the editor of the Schizophrenia Newsletter put out by our local chapter.

I want to say that "THERE IS HOPE" Recovery isn't a cure but it will help us live happy, meaningful, and productive lifestyles despite the wreckage that mental illness causes in our lives.

My fellow consumers have "FAITH, HOPE, AND COURAGE" Things will get better.

8:36 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home